Mackin’s Auto Body began as Mackin's Automotive in September 1945, when Bob and Doris Mackin purchased a Mobil Oil service station in North Portland for a mere $1,000. In the beginning Bob ran the shop at the corner of North Interstate and Willis, and Doris handled the books.
After just a year, Bob and Doris hired their first employee. The following year they purchased the service station across the street. In 1949, Bob began what would be a 10-year run in the towing business.
Bob’s son Larry began working in the business when he was 10 years old. His responsibilities grew with him and by 1970, he was working full-time. Doris retired in 1977. In 1979, Larry was made a partner and Mackin and Son Automotive became a reality.
When Bob Mackin passed away in 2001, Larry and his wife Suzanne formed a partnership as joint owners of Mackin’s Auto Body.
Over the years the business has grown and prospered. Mackin’s now employs over 100 people and in 2011, opened its seventh location on Highway 99 in Vancouver.